It is common knowledge that in today’s society the internet plays a huge part in day to day life. Internet users are increasing at a rapid rate, with the end of 2017 showing that over 3.5 billion people around the world were using the internet. To give some perspective, the world’s population is approximately 7 billion, this means that over 50% of the population is connected to the internet. With this in mind, it should come as no surprise that businesses are catching on and trying to take advantage of this. Here are some interesting facts about the internet and the digital marketing industry.
Fact 1: Brands Are Upping Digital Marketing Budgets
It really is no secret that digital marketing is the way of the future for businesses, but what you may not know is how much money is actually being spent in this field worldwide every year. As the online and digital marketing sector grows, more and more businesses are jumping on the bandwagon and utilising this new form of advertising instead of the more conventional methods. So how much is being spent worldwide on these services? Well, at the end of 2017 the worldwide spend on digital marketing totalled up to a whopping 191 billion dollars! This is an enormous amount of money, and it is likely to have grown substantially by the end of 2018. You’re probably wondering why so much money was spent on this part of business; but it’s actually a very simple answer. Businesses know that digital marketing is the way forward and is the most effective way to reach and communicate with their consumers.
Fact 2: A Minute in The Online World
We all know how integral the internet now in the lives of the western world, but do you know how much activity happens in just one minute? You may think you do, but you’re probably thinking on a much smaller scale in comparison to the truth. Here are the statistics about what happens every minute in the digital space. Remember, every single minute. Let’s not forget that there are 1440 minutes in a day, so the following happens 1440 times every day.
- YouTube has become one of the most widely used online platforms, with thousands of people making a living out of posting videos. Every minute 650 videos are uploaded to the website. This means that 741,000 videos are uploaded every day! In other words, don’t worry, you won’t ever run out of YouTube videos to watch!
- Twitter is a popular social media site, so popular in fact, that 70,000 tweets are made every minute.
- Facebook appears to be even more popular, however, with over 1 million status updates being written every minute.
- When in doubt these days, everyone quickly turns to Google. To give you a concept of how large this scale is around 700,000 search queries are made on Google every minute! Now this gives the pressure to the reliable SEO company to do better with their strategies.
- This last one, however, is the real shocker. Over 150 million emails are sent every minute.
Fact 3: Social Media is Still Growing
As the statistics above highlight, the online space is enormous and the amount of traffic every day is insane. A lot of the online success is down to the popularity of social media; social media is still growing really fast. Facebook is undoubtedly the largest social media platform with over 1.8 billion users, Instagram is another increasingly popular app with around 1 billion users. These numbers are not plateauing any time soon and they are set to continue increasing in users over the coming years. With so many users, it’s no surprise that businesses see advertising potential. These websites provide a relatively easy and cost effective way for businesses to connect with their target markets. This is why over 60 billion was put into social media marketing last year.